After living in Chicago for 9 years the native foods have become some of my favourite. This recipe is on the the top of my list. The memories of leaning over the table as the juiced bread dripped down my hands as I bit into this robust and flavour filled sandwich. If you do not live in Chicago and plan to visit this is a must on everyone’s list of things to eat in the Windy City.
- 2 tbsp RUB THAT RUBS Chicago Blend
- 1 sweet red pepper
- 1.5 litre Beef broth
- 1 Italian loaf of bread
- 2 Lbs of Beef Sirloin is ideal
- Pastene Mixed Vegetables * Giardiniera Condiment
- Rub your beef roast with 2 tbsp of Rub That Rubs Chicago Blend and sit it in the fridge for at least one hour.
- After an hour preheat your oven to 325 F. place the beef roast in a small roaster with 1 litre beef broth and Red sweet pepper sliced. Continue to bake for 45 minutes or until medium.
- Once your beef hits Medium remove from the roaster and let it cool in the fridge. This makes slicing it easier.
- Remove your beef juice from the roaster and sweet pepper to a sauce pan big enough to dip a 6 inch sandwich and simmer. Add more beef broth if the juice levels get to low.
- When the Roasties are done. ( Please refer to the recipe below) Remove your beef roast from the fridge and slice it thinly .
- Slice your bread and set aside for the moment.
- Dip your beef into the Juice to heat it up and make it tender (the thinner it is sliced the more tender. If it is a bit thick let it sit in the juice until tender).
- Place the soaked beef on the bread.
- Add some of the Sweet peppers from the juice.
- Now it is that ever so important time that you dip your whole sandwich into the juice.
- Top your sandwich with Giardienra and a side of Roasties.