Nova Scotia Storm Stew
- 2 tbsp RUB THAT RUBS Chicago Blend
- 2.5 lbs stewing beef
- 3 tbsp grape seed oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12-oz. Stout beer
- 2 cup diced carrots
- 2 cup diced potato
- 1 cups diced celery
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp Summer Savory
- Option: Finish with fresh cracked pepper
- Option: Garnish with fresh peas
- In a mixing bowl, toss the beef with the flour, rub that RUBS Chicago Spice Blend
- Heat the oil in a large stock pot over high heat until just starting to smoke, then dump all the meat into brown.
- Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring twice, or until the meat has a nice brown colour on both sides. You can do this in batches to get a more even brown on each piece,I just browned all the meat at once.
- Chop the vegetables and set aside in a bowl until the meat is browned
- When the meat has sufficiently browned, lower the heat to medium and pour in 6 oz of The Stout Beer, let it cook for 1-2 minutes then add your vegetables and let cook an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the beer, the tomato paste, summer savory and beef stock
- Cover, reduce the heat to low, simmer for 2 hours or until the beef is tender.
- Serve with a dash of cracked pepper and some local bread for soaking up the yummy sauce