For the Italian Herb Bagels:
- 1 1/2 cup warm water (110 f)
- 4 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 tsp fast rising yeast (1 pkg)
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 4 to 5 cups unbleached flour
- 1 to 2 tbsp pure honey (Reserve for boiling water )
- 1 tbsp rub that RUBS Italian 9 Spice blend
- Sesame Seeds, *Optional
- In a mixing bowl add the warm water and sugar. Stir water to dissolve the sugar.
- Add the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes or until you see a foam build on the water.
- Add oil, egg, salt and rub that RUBS Italian 9 Spice blend, mix until combined.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of flour, mix on low for 1/2 minute in a stand mixer, scraping the sides. Mix for another 3 minutes on high speed.
- Gradually mix in the remaining flour, until the dough is firm but slightly damp. remove from the bowl.
- Turn out on a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough remaining flour to make a dough that is smooth and elastic (6-8 minutes).
- Cover dough and let rest for at least 10 minutes in a oiled bowl.
- Divide dough into equal pieces. I recommend weighing the dough to 100 g for each bagel.
- Form the dough into a bagel shape, you can roll the dough with your hands and pinch the ends together or push a hole into a piece of dough.
- Place on a greased baking sheet or a piece of parchment paper. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- In a large pot add warm water and 1 - 2 Tbsp of pure honey, bring to a boil. Preheat over to 450 F.
- Boil each bagel for 2 minutes, flipping them half way through with tongs.
- Place bagels on a baking sheet or parchment paper.
- *Optional - Cover a plate with sesame seeds and press one side of the bagel down on the plate.
- Place bagels onto a greased baking sheet or baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake at 450 F then reduce heat to 425 F.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let bagels cool on a baking rack.